Winter Weather and Snow Day Protocol
Winter Weather Announcements
In the event our school is closed, we will send a text alert message to all school families who have completed the text alert process in Sycamore.
One of the following announcements will be made:
- All Catholic elementary schools in Jefferson Co. are OPEN.
- All Catholic elementary schools in Jefferson Co. will be OPEN, but on a DELAYED SCHEDULE: The school building will be open at 9:15am. Classes will begin at 10:00am and end at 2:45pm.
- All Catholic elementary schools in Jefferson Co. are CLOSED.
Once we are in school, students will not be dismissed unless a parent or guardian is notified. Please do not call the school seeking early dismissal information. In the event school is dismissed early due to weather or other circumstances, parents will be notified during the day via Sycamore Text Alert system. On these specific days, all activities for that day (sports or academic practices) will be cancelled.
Snow Day Protocol 2022-2023
In the event of inclement weather, St. Margaret Mary School, in accordance with the Archdiocese, has developed a plan to continue to learn on snow days via distance learning assignments and learning packets. The following guidelines have been developed by the staff and approved by the SAC.
- Distance learning assignments will begin on the second snow/inclement weather day.
- Archdiocesan policy allows for a maximum of 5 distance learning days during the school year. Any additional snow days will be added on to the end of the school year unless they are forgiven by the governor.
- There is no need to email the homeroom teacher for attendance purposes. Attendance will be assumed as long as the work is turned in on time.
- Parents will be notified if it is a distance learning day via email and Sycamore text alert.
- Teachers will post assignments in Google Classroom or Seesaw. Teachers will be available between 10:00 am. and 2:00 p.m. via email to answer questions or give feedback.
- Assignments will be due to the teachers two days after the distance learning day on which they were assigned. This is to allow those who did not have computer access, or had technical difficulties, time to do the work. Work can, of course, be turned in on the day of return.
- Students will have assignments for all classes they would have attended that day in school. This includes Spanish and special areas.